Tuesday, June 14, 2005

so much fiber, so little time

i've been a fibery whirlwind for the last week. so much i feel like posting, but i'll try to break it up over the week.

i've been spinning orangey yarn that will eventually become a sweater for Big Orange. I've got that orange and gold/yellow fleece from Winterberry Farm, and also extra red roving. I'm hand carding them and then spinning from the rolags. I'm not blending them completely together because i'm going for that variegated, heathered Noro-ey look. I'm seeing Fitgerald in my mind.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I spent three evenings of movie watching carding rolags, spinning two bobbins of singles, and then plying. The product? 300 yards. If i estimate 1500 yards for a men's large... 8 more skeins to go. for the spinning alone. I am beginning to understand the origins of that sweater curse. its all about the time and energy one puts into a gift like this. As i sat carding more rolags, i started to get a little hostile. This is why these things are cursed. its about the time. Can't you just see some poor knitter spending 100's of hours lovingly knitting a sweater, only for it to be mistakenly tossed in the washer and ruined?

"What are you going to make for me that would be this involved?!" i asked (accused even), brandishing a hand carder his direction.

He inched towards the other end of the couch, looking more than a bit scared.

"if this sweater ever gets within 100 yards of a washing machine, so help me, i will strangle you". ('this sweater' - the two skeins of yarn on the coffee table are already a completed sweater in my head.)

At this point he decided it was best to go to another room for a while.
smart boy.

4 Comments:

At 6/14/2005 3:14 PM, Blogger Dani said...

I love that orange! The variations look like they will make a fab sweater :)

 
At 6/15/2005 6:17 AM, Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

You are too funny! But best to warn him now, before the sweater DOES hit the washing machine.

Ask me how my mom wound up the owner of a lovely handknit sweater last year after my husband threw it into the washer filled with HOT water.

 
At 6/15/2005 4:37 PM, Blogger Fern Lady said...

I agree...so much fiber, so little time. I went to a fiber fair this weekend and you have to see what I got . I'm dying to show people. Way the by, I am soooo looking forward to my felting fleece from you! (That is not pressure to hurry, just me being an excited felting geek).

 
At 6/16/2005 8:57 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I think it may be time for The Big Orange to learn some cabinet-making skills. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home