Monday, February 20, 2006

fiber and circumstance

last week in review:
tuesday - whine about not being able to go to SPA.
wednesday - decide that i really, really want to go and its worth shuffling plans with friends to fit it in. Big Orange has a friend/business buddy that he really should meet with who lives in portland, anyway. We can go up saturday afternoon; he can have his meeting while i go to SPA and we can spend the night at their house. fab.
thursday - there's been a death in the family. cancel weekend plans and start to arrange travel plans.
friday - decide that i really, really need some 'fiber therapy' and he still needs to meet with friend. We can drive up to portland friday afternoon and spend just a few hours before leaving for funeral in philadelphia.

And it was worth it. Even though i was only there for a few hours, it was such a wonderful time. I needed to be in the presence of other crazy fiber people. To soak up the pleasant and relaxing atmosphere. I got to see quite a few people i know from fiber festivals or craft shows. I got to "actually" meet some blog people, which was fun. Bought beautiful batts and a spindle from Grafton Fibers. Chatted with Stephanie for a bit. [note to self: yeah, good job trying to act cool and not like a total fan girl. but next time remember that she meets hundreds, probably thousands, of rabid knitters and does not remember meeting you at one book signing. dweeb!] I even sat for a bit and knit with complete strangers. school stress, life stress, and sadness floated away for a few hours. such a nice feeling.

didn't get as much knitting done in the car as i'd hoped. much of the driving was done at night and that just doesn't play well with fair isle. I finished sleeve 2, but have yet to cast on for the body. I was supposed to get a lot done over the weekend! i'm so far behind now that my chances of finishing in time are slim-to-none. I'm going to keep trying, but i guess it wasn't meant to be.

here is the sleeve posing as we drove over the Tappan Zee bridge:

2 Comments:

At 2/20/2006 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat. I've been contemplating my "equipment failure" today and am considering ripping the body back to the ribbing and restarting. In which case, Olympic disqualification. BUT, on the upside, this is MY sweater and I want it to be perfect...not just finished. How about if you and I make our own little St. Moritz support group to ensure that it doesn't become a UFO? Realistically, I would shoot for March 11th.

 
At 2/21/2006 4:53 PM, Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

Sounds like the few hours at SPA was worth the time and effort to get there. Hopefully we'll see each other soon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home