Friday, July 21, 2006

baby quilt approaching completion

i picked a backing fabric and sandwiched the batting (don't you love my highly correct and technical terminology?). I am proud of myself for using (mostly) fabrics that were already in my stash. i did have to buy the hot pink for the stips between blocks. but i squeezed the whole border out of one fat quarter i already had. Then i bought 1 yard for the backing. the quilt is exactly 36" wide, and i should have bought a little more than 1 yard. now i have to use a contrasting fabric for finishing it instead of folding up the backing (which would have been nice and simple).

As for quilting: i wanted to send it away to a really cool long arm quilter that Gina used for one of her quilts. but i am trying to save on ca$h, so i decided to do it on my machine. My sewing machine is 10 yrs old and doesn't lower the feed dogs, so i can't do free motion stitching. I am just doing stitch-in-the-ditch and various geometric (straight line) patterns. I don't love the pattern, but i think it will look cool in the end.

There are a multitide of things "less than perfect" (ok, really screwed up) with this quilt. I can see them all. Mainly, I started this 3+ years ago, and i definitely didn't think through what i was doing before just starting out. the fabrics don't really match each other either. now i've learned better than that. But i don't want to let all the little picky things i don't like about it keep me from finishing it and giving a really nice gift to a really good friend.

So i'm trying to find the balance between "just get the (#$*&%ing thing done" and "make something i am really happy with". Because the former is what my mother always does and i always hated the end product. and the latter is what i want to do, but actually breeds procrastination instead of me completing things. Somewhere in there i know there is a place where my inner perfectionist is happy and yet things Get Done.

3 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 6:08 PM, Blogger Shelina said...

Dharia, You've done a great job with the quilt. Congratulations! I too waver between getting things done, and taking the time to do things perfectly.
If your feed dogs don't go down, you can always tape an index card over them to cover them up, but there is nothing wrong with leaving them up and quilting straight of wavy lines.

 
At 7/22/2006 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. I used to do a LOT of quilting before I picked up the pointy sticks. It's hard to walk that line between getting it done and doing it right. You'll find a happy medium. I'm sure of it.

 
At 7/24/2006 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this quilt. Clotilde catalog sells a little plastic thingy that covers the feed dogs for less than $3.00. Something to think about for your next creation!
Cape Cod Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home