Saturday, February 03, 2007

Finished: Starsky

Every beginning knitting book i've ever read says that you should NEVER EVER block ribbing. that's just silly. I understand not wanting to lose the elasticity of the ribbing, but obviously the collar of Starsky needed to be blocked. MUCH better.

Not being a fan of belted sweaters, i never planned on making the belt for Starsky. I figured i'd just knit some buttonholes into the collar. Unfortunately, i completely forgot about that plan until i was casting off the #(*&%^ collar! grr. I'm currently wearing it held closed with a safety pin. classy. When i find some buttons that i really like, i plan on knitting some i-cord frog/loops to close it. No rush, since i have no problem wearing sweaters 95% complete. (I wear my Ribby Cardi all the time; still no zipper.)

Summary Specs:
Pattern - Starsky from Knitty.
Yarn - Debbie Bliss Merino Aran. Purchased from the Webs garage sale. 17 balls completely used, no belt.
Started - May 2006
Finished - Jan 2007
Mods - knit plain stockinette back.
Thoughts - Easy pattern to knit, love the finished sweater. I think the whole sweater needs to be washed one more time to soften up the yarn even more. It has gotten softer each time i've worn it.

The sleeves are rather large, but they match the style of the sweater. The pattern claims to be designed with 8" of ease, putting me at the XL size. I love it when designers list the predicted ease in the design. I much prefer it to telling me what size the model is wearing. (how does that help me, if i don't know what her bust size is?!) Ever since the horrid results of my blue/green aran, i'm especially wary of the suggested ease in sweater designs. [that sweater is still in 'time out' on my basement floor. next to the washing machine, because i just can't bring myself to throw it in the hot water to shrink it to a wearable size.] For Starsky, I chose to knit the size L instead and i'm glad i did! Yes, Starsky is designed to be comfy and oversized... but I really don't think the model in the photo is wearing a sweater with 8" of ease, which would be extremely baggy. If nothing else, i've convinced myself that I do not personally like sweaters with more than 5" of ease. I might make another sweater similar to this, but i would use the large body measurements, but make the sleeves in medium.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2/03/2007 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - i just wanted to delurk to say your starsky looks great! i knitted the belt to feel cosy - but i love the button idea. nice one!

 
At 2/03/2007 4:15 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Love it! I like the idea of doing the toggle closures rather than a belt.

 
At 2/05/2007 8:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It looks beautiful! I am in awe of your talent. You must teach me!! :)

 
At 3/04/2007 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful! The color is perfect too. <3

 
At 11/04/2007 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your sweater. My husband would like one. Can you give me some assistance as too how you chose which size to knit?

 
At 11/05/2007 8:00 PM, Blogger Dharia said...

Hi Kerry -
I would suggest measuring a sweater that he already has and likes and is a comfortable size. Then choose the size in starsky with matching finished measurements. That is what i do now and it works well for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home