Thursday, April 14, 2005

(NQC)FO* and the new Science Knits webring

Are you a scientist by trade, but a fiber artist by hobby? Do you sneak your knitting into the lab? Have you ever spent a boring seminar dissecting the cable pattern of the person sitting in front of you? I've started a new webring just for us: Science Knits. I have quite a few knitting friends at my current job, and i know there are many others out there. I was inspired by Theresa's blog poll, where she found that nearly 14% of her readers identify as Knitters and Scientists. Its sort of a fun experiment. Do other scientists treat their crafting in an orderly, scientific manner? i certainly don't. my crafting is usually unplanned, spontaneous, and not very well documented. but then again, my boss might say the same thing about my experiments. ha!

In honor of starting the Knitting Scientists webring, i decided it was about time to finish up my own personal DNA scarf (started almost two years ago). Here is the *(Not Quite Completely) Finished object.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
i haven't had a finished object in so long that I couldn't wait until the ends were sewn and blocked to show the picture! I chose not to make the ribbed neck portion, like a true fisherman's scarf, and stayed in helix pattern all the way through. The yarn was a super soft alpaca purchased on clearance at the LYS. It was actually a laceweight yarn, and i used smaller needles and more yarn than the pattern called for. Its very light and airy (but still super warm from the alpaca). Why am i finishing up warm alpaca scarves now, when the weather is finally getting nice? i'm also itching to knit socks right now. my seasonal knitting clock is totally screwy.

You know how you always read that your gauge can change over time? well here's proof positive:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
i'm hoping to mask it with a little aggressive blocking. but if that doesn't work i might rip back and finish that wobbly end on a smaller needle. Its unlike me to do that, but i think it will bother me if i leave it. I intend to keep this scarf for myself to wear with my lightweight fall/winter/spring coat.

10 Comments:

At 4/14/2005 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camille from the Chicago area here - I'm a 26-year-old knitting scientist (I have biochem and analytical chem degrees, and work in analytical chemistry R&D at a pharmaceutical company). I am delighted to have found your blog through Theresa's. I don't keep a knitting blog myself, but I love to knit. A bunch of girls I work with have a weekly lunchtime sit n' knit together. We analytical types need to challenge our right brains too! Your DNA scarf is fabulous.

 
At 4/14/2005 4:25 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Hey there--- Glad to see you are advertising the new ring. Great idea... already signed up for it! Though I didn't get it quite posted right on my site yet...

For my master's I spent about 1/4 of the time in the field and about 3/4 of the time in the lab anlysing water samples. Now, for my job I get to play on a boat in the summers and am stuck in an office writing goverment docs throughout the year... I actually am not crazy about my job (I have only been here a year) and am contemplating Ph.D.!

Anyhow, Love THE SCARF! Who cares that it took you a while... Its cool... go you!

 
At 4/14/2005 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like it a lot! I vote for not ripping back. Toss one end over your shoulder, and no one will know for sure. Alpaca is probably my favorite fiber. I wonder if anyone will recognize the DNA pattern when you wear it.

 
At 4/14/2005 5:37 PM, Blogger Dharia said...

Laurie - at my job they will DEFINITELY recognize it. a very big building full of science nerds. We have pictures (SEM images to be exact) of X and Y chromosomes on the bathroom to designate women's from men's room. that's how nerdy we are.

 
At 4/15/2005 8:14 AM, Blogger Mini said...

Ahh... DNA. Funny, i have so much "nerdy science" crap and yet, I want to make this scarf! :) My favorite thing is my collection of "molecule mugs" that a friend got me: caffeine, sugar, valium... i love them. While I do love me some DNA, I am ready to leave this lab and move back to the (semi) sane world of protein biochemistry.... ahh, can you smell the column slurry material? i love being a geek. :)

 
At 4/16/2005 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the scarf! I keep meaning to make this one, but the to do list just grows and grows! I vote for not ripping it back (I'm OCD enough that I probably would, but I try not to encourage my disease in others!) Thanks for setting up/letting me join the science knit ring! I'm already enjoying myself

 
At 4/19/2005 3:04 PM, Blogger Nik said...

After seeing your scarf, you've made me remember my own DNA scarf that's been started some time ago and never finished. I'm going to copy you and finish it in honor of the Ring.

By the way, I'm Nik from the Raleigh/Durham, NC area where I'm a molecular biologist. I love knitting because it allows the two sides of my brain to 'have a meeting' (as my new favorite recording artist Joss Stone would say)

 
At 6/02/2007 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a textile designer from Glasgow Scotland and I was very interested in your web ring. I am not a scientist but I used to study Biomedical science for a while. I am currently working on technological textiles I would love the pattern for the DNA scarf. I was wondering if it would be possible to crochet 3D DNA?
Thanks Emma

 
At 6/02/2007 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a textile designer from Glasgow Scotland and I was very interested in your web ring. I am not a scientist but I used to study Biomedical science for a while. I am currently working on technological textiles I would love the pattern for the DNA scarf. I was wondering if it would be possible to crochet 3D DNA?
Thanks Emma

 
At 11/21/2008 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome scarf! Hooray for science knitters! I am a 26 yo physicist in LA and I am getting back into knitting. I am still not much beyond the beginner level, but I just finished my third baby blanket and am itching for another project! Maybe I will design a physics-based scarf... No idea what that means yet, but I'll do some thinking. Also, does that bunny still need a home (I just found this site today while looking for knitting patterns)? I have a few Boston friends I could ping. Do you have the pattern for the DNA scarf available somewhere? I have a bioengineering friend who would love one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home