Monday, March 21, 2005

Spring Arts at the Station: a smashing success!!

I had a wonderful time on saturday at the Arts show! here's a picture that was in Sunday's Worcester Telegram & Gazette:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thanks SO MUCH to my friend Trista who came to help me woman the table. The event was so high energy and busy that i was brain dead and exhausted halfway through it and Trista came and took over the answering of questions, giving people my email address when i ran out of cards and such. she was awesome.

The funniest thing of the day was the mesmerizing effect of the spinning wheel on young children. Originally didn't think there would be room for the wheel... but when we got set up and saw how much space there was between the tables, i sent Darius home to fetch my wheel. People are amazed at how "low tech" spinning is, which i love. For some reason the movement of the spinning wheel is a siren song for children, i would sometimes have 8 of them standing transfixed. i get in that trance too when i'm spinning, but i had no idea the effect it would have on kids.

I also realized why i get myself into things like this - commiting to being in a craft show and then rushing and working under pressure to make stuff. Because without something huge like that, i am unable to prioritize my other thoughts and projects. When i got home and had to opportunity to work on ANY project i wanted, i couldn't decide. i wandered around the house thinking of all the fun crafts i could be working on but unable to decide which one i wanted. Did i work on Ribby Cardi? no. Blue/Green Aran? Rosedale? instead, I cast on the Pirate Sweater that i've been planning on making for a friend's baby. There are so many thoughts racing around at top speed through my brain that i just can't seem to focus without some sort of external pressure or deadline. argh!

2 Comments:

At 3/22/2005 9:58 AM, Blogger Trista said...

Awww. *blush* Thanks!

That wheel was a real hit... it seemed like whenever you stepped off, someone came and asked about it... you should definitely bring a big basket of roving to the next fair. :)

And I like helping to woman the table! Along with dying the yarn. I really think that the sock yarn sold so well because it was a small project that you had enough yarn for, so knitters weren't going 'gee, what will I do with this gorgeous skein? Too bad there's only one.' :)

I completely understand about the deadline thing. If I don't have a deadline for a project, most of the time it seems not to get done. That might be most of the reason knitted items seem to be given away. ;)

 
At 3/23/2005 6:58 AM, Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

Sounds like it was fun! Sorry I missed it, but I spent the day at the ER with my Mom, who is better now, but wasn't too good on Saturday. :)

Please send me information on how to get into this event next year. Sounds like a great show! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home