Wednesday, August 02, 2006

hello Terror, so nice to meet you.

t minus 5 days 'til we leave for california to film Uncommon Threads. i was ok before, but now the unholy terror has set in. I am still finishing my step-outs. I don't have any nice clothes. I need a haircut and a manicure. The producers told us to wear more makeup than normal, and "definitely wear foundation". hrm... i wear lipstick approximately 5 times per year. If i'm getting really wild and crazy i'll dig out my mascara and eyeliner. Foundation? i can't even remember the last time i wore full makeup! crappity crap.

But the fear really goes deeper than that. The clothing, hair, and makeup are just the surface of it. Why am I showing people how to dye wool? I've never taken a class, i just do it the way that i've worked out on my own. for all i know, i am doing it all wrong! and sewing? I only do what my grandmother taught me when i was 13. what qualifies me to be demonstrating that to everyone with cable? Lady Linoleum over at Monster Crochet has summed it up far better than i ever could. give it a read.

Last friday i came home to find a HUGE box on my front steps. It was wool from Zeilingers that i dropped off with them during NHS&W. Originally 3 fleeces, given to me by another AWW member. I thought i would be able to wash the fleece myself, but after a year of it sitting in a closet, i gave up that idea. I dropped off 21 lbs of icky, oily, muck and got 16 lbs back of fluffly, scrumptious, off-white merino roving! yaaaay. That seals it. cleaning fleece is my cut off. I will happily dye it, card it, spin it, and knit it. but i have no interest in washing it myself.

I had to immediately spin up 2 bobbins, no dye at all. I plied them last night and plan to knit a nice scarf and hat to give to Trish as a thank you for the nice fleece.

5 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 12:16 PM, Blogger Julie said...

How very twilight zone, I just added Uncommon Threads to my TiVo. I hope it goes well for you!

 
At 8/02/2006 1:07 PM, Blogger wenders said...

Hey - I actually LOVE that you're getting to do this and don't feel you have 'authority' to be teaching. I would rather listen a hundred times over to someone who figured out her own way than someone who book-study and thinks that there's ONE right way to do anything. :) Hope all goes well - break a leg!

 
At 8/02/2006 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are sui generis, which is really all that you need to qualify. (Granted, I only met you once, but I can tell.) You might enjoy watching some of the old recordings of "The French Chef" for another example of passion and personality carrying the day. Bon apetit!

 
At 8/03/2006 4:54 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Hey girlie, so glad you stopped by blog to um, err, commiserate. LOL

You'll be great! Actually, I think we'll all be fine when it comes right down to it. Freak-outs are part of the gig...and girl, I am great at 'em. LMAO

When are you coming into town?

 
At 8/05/2006 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, I hear you on the makeup thing. We're rolling in to shoot our episodes right after you. Blush? I haven't even *thought* of blush since 1987. Break a leg! And maybe we'll see you at the studio!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home